9/12/09

It has been a little crazy around here...

 A picture I took in honor of Matt and his Fantasy Football Draft!

     So It has been awhile, but I just don't seem to have the energy for much these days.  I have been so tired and don't think that I will ever catch up on sleep!  I wanted to recap the last week and all the craziness poor little Kellen has went through!  I think that going through all of the stress of having a sick little one and not knowing what to do for him, just about did me in!
     After the Dr's on Tuesday I felt so much better because they had said he was okay to go through surgery!  On Wednesday things started to go downhill.  When Matt picked Kellen up from daycare his teacher had just taken his temperature and it was at 100.4.  About this time I began to panic and deep down I knew the surgery was not going to happen, but I will still praying that it would.  Of course I did not want them to do it if Kellen was sick, but it really was the PERFECT time for me.  I had Friday and Monday off for Labor day and that meant I would get to be home with him for 5 days while he recovers.  I was so excited that things had lined up!!!  Well like I said it was perfect timing for me, but I guess God had other plans.  Kellen's fever continued to rise over the course of the evening and finally at 11:30 pm it hit 102.5.  I just didn't know what to do anymore...so I called the nurse line and asked what to do.  She told us that we could go ahead and give Kellen some Tylenol and that if it broke than we should be fine to have the surgery.  So that is what we did.  Kellen woke up at 3:30 so we got up and gave him some water and took his temp...no temperature!  Maybe it really was going to work out for us! So we got ready and headed to the place where he was to have his surgery.
     When it was our turn I told the nurse all about the fever and the Tylenol and going to the Drs on Tuesday.  She did not seem to show any concern, she took Kellen's temp twice just to be sure he did not have a fever.  So far so good...I was almost feeling confident that it was going to happen.  The the Nurse Practitioner for the Anesthesiologist came in and listened to the details leading up to that point and then listened to Kellen's lungs.  At that point everything came crashing down.  She said he was wheezing and was sure that they would not do the surgery and if they did she would be very surprised.  She left the room and talked to Dr and came back and said "Today is not the day"!!!  My heart sank...now don't get me wrong I did not want them to do the surgery if Kellen was at any risk, but I was so disappointed that my perfect timing was not so perfect any more.
     So we loaded Kellen back up into the car and my mom fed him a bottle on the way home.  He fell asleep and didn't wake up even when we moved him from the car to his crib.  I waited till 8:30 and called the Dr to see if I could get an appointment to have Kellen checked again!  The whole time I was so upset...When I had taken him to the Dr on Tuesday he sounded the exact same as he did at that exact moment!  So why did that Dr clear him for surgery???  When the Dr's answered she said she had an availability with the same Dr I saw on Tuesday, but I really don't care to see him again.  So we got a 9:30 appointment with a Nurse practitioner.  She was so sweet.  She said Kellen was a "Happy Wheezier" and because of all the congestion he was wheezing.  She suggested that we start breathing treatments and an antibiotic just because he had a fever the night before, she said better safe than sorry!  She did tell us that because Kellen has had this cold for so long and it has not moved to his ears, that we should not have any problems with them!  I was very happy about that!  We did a breathing treatment in the office and it was so hard to watch Kellen!  He cried the whole time!  It broke my heart!  But I know that it was for the better!!!
Kellen is actually smiling though his breathing treatment!!!

     They sent us home with a nebulizer so that we could continue the breathing treatments at home.  This is where  "first time mom naivety" comes in...I didn't think to ask any of the side effects or anything...just went about my business of filling the prescriptions and doing the breathing treatments at home.   The rest of Thursday went fine...Kellen seemed to be feeling better and I was enjoying my time with him.
Friday things started to go a little crazy...The breathing treatments were making Kellen so hyper that it was like he was on crack!!!  He would not sit still for his bottles so I was only able to get about 10 oz of formula down him instead of his normal 35 oz.  I couldn't keep up with him...amongst all this going on Kellen decided now was the time to start full on crawling (and he hasn't stopped since)!!!  He still does the marine crawl, but is starting to use his legs a little more until he hits the hardwoods and then knows that dragging himself he can go faster! So all day Saturday and part of Sunday I continued the breathing treatments, until  my mom, matt and me were about at our limits.  Kellen was so hyper and it was a fight to get him to sit still long enough to eat.  He was not wheezing anymore and his cough sounded like it was dryer...so we called the pharmacist to see if there would be any harm in stopping the breathing treatments.  He said no as long as he was not wheezing.  So we decided to stop the breathing treatments.  Monday was so much nicer...Kellen drank all of his bottles and was still crawling all over the place, but not nearly as hyper.
Kellen chasing Holly...she got smart and jumped on the chair!!!

     I kept Kellen in the house the entire weekend besides one adventure to Babies R Us on Monday.  He was doing very well and things were looking up.  So back to daycare he went on Tuesday!  By Wednesday his nose was running a lot more and he was sounding a little more congested, but still no wheezing!  I had to take Kellen back to the Drs on Thursday so they could check his lungs, but after only being at work for a few hours, daycare called and said Kellen was running a fever and had diarrhea.    So off to get him I went.  When I got to daycare they apologized and said it seemed that Kellen's fever was going up and down, because they took it a gain with a different thermometer!  If you want my opinion I don't think he ever had a fever, because I have never known one to disappear unaided with in 30-45 minutes.  So Kellen and I went home and hung out till the Drs...I was happy for the time I got to spend with Kellen!
     At the Dr's they said Kellen's lungs sounded great and that his diarrhea could be anything, but were not concerned with it since he was not vomiting! They said it could be the rest of the virus trying to get out or the antibiotics, or even his teething (he has three teeth trying to come through)!  Kellen now has 7 teeth in all and 5 of those have come in pretty much at once.
     Kellen is still congested and I am looking for more natural ways to help him get the gunk out so that we do not have to resort to the breathing treatments.  I have been using the saline spray and an aspirator and trying to get out as much of the gunk I can from his nose and that seems to help!  But if anyone has any suggestions on how to get the gunk out of his chest let me know!   Thanks again for all the prayers!

1 comment:

  1. My goodness girl you have had a week and I am so sorry. Not sure where I missed it but I did not know that surgery was even scheduled again...I feel horrible about that. I will be praying that all this snot and wheezing mess will clear though. So it sounds like you have been tested this week...I guess one of the many we have as moms huh...still not fun though I know. We look forward to seeing yall this weekend coming up but if K is to sick and yall have too much going on please let us know we completely understand. Talk with you soon..love ya

    ReplyDelete

Template designed by Rainy Day